Taking care of your hardwood floor.
Today’s finishes make hardwood floors more water-resistant and easier to maintain than ever before. That’s not to say that you can wet mop your floor like tile but you can do some simple regular maintenance to keep your hardwood looking as good as new.
- Sweep your floor or use a dust mop daily. Kermans offers micro fiber dusting mops for this purpose.
- A hardwood floor cleaner is useful in removing occasional scuffs or heel marks. Spray some cleaner on a cloth and lightly rub the stained area. Sticky spots can be cleaned with a damp towel or sponge. Check out our selection of Bona Cheme solutions for cleaning.
- Do NOT use cleaning products (Murphy’s Oil Soap, Old English, wax, conditioner etc) each time you clean your floor; use water and cleaning products sparingly to increase the longevity and sheen of your final finish coat.
- Never wet-mop a wood floor. In all cases, use minimal water, because water causes deterioration of the wood itself as well as the finish. Avoid using mops or cloths that leave excessive water on the floor. Never let a spill of water dry on the floor. Never pour water directly onto the floor.
- Place floor mats or area rugs at each entryway to collect dirt and grit that might be tracked in. These tiny particles act like sandpaper and will scratch your floor. Be sure to avoid using rubber-backed or non-ventilated mats or rugs as they can damage your floor. Instead use mats or rugs made especially for hardwood floors and remember to shake them out regularly.
- Use a humidifier throughout the winter months to keep wood movement and shrinkage to a minimum.
- If you have pets, keep their nails trimmed, they can and will scratch a wood floor.
Kermans design consultants can give you additional advice on maintenance for your particular hardwood flooring product. Call or visit our showroom to learn more about hardwood flooring maintenance.