Taking care of your carpet investment.
With proper maintenance and cleaning, your carpet will be a beautiful, comfortable enhancement to your home for years to come.
The most important factor in caring for your carpet is vacuuming properly. It helps preserve the cushiness of your carpet, extend the life of your carpet and improve the air you breathe.
- Vacuum it thoroughly and frequently.
- Removing loose soil while it remains on the carpet surface prevents dirt from being ground into the carpet pile.
- Use slow repetitive front-to-back motions in an overlapping sequence.
- On the other hand, don’t press down or make too many passes over the same spot.
- Move slightly to the left or right about every four strokes.
- For rooms with light traffic, vacuum the carpet traffic area twice weekly and the entire area once weekly.
- In areas with heavy traffic, vacuum the carpet traffic lanes daily and the entire area twice weekly.
- 3 to 5 passes of the machine will suffice for light soiling, but 5 to 7 passes are necessary for heavily soiled areas.
- Change the direction occasionally to help stand the pile upright and reduce matting.
It is important to clean your carpet on a regular basis, some manufacturer’s warranties require it. Soil from cooking vapors, air pollution and dirt tracked in from outside present different problems and can cause fiber damage. Dirt build-up can also cause the pile to become matted and dull the color of your carpet. If carpet is cleaned regularly and before it becomes too unsightly, the cleaning chore is easier and more successful.
- Most manufacturers recommend that carpet be cleaned every 12 to 18 months depending on the amount of activity.
- The hot water extraction cleaning system is recommended.
- You should have your carpet professionally cleaned often enough to prevent the carpet from becoming excessively soiled.
- Professional carpet cleaning keeps your carpet fresher, brighter and newer-looking longer.
A few simple carpet cleaning techniques can add years to the life of your carpet. Learn the right tools and tips.