How to keep your hardwood beautifulKermans Flooring
Some people shy away from natural hardwood floors because they are concerned about expensive maintenance. However, natural hardwoods are… well, naturally designed to be a durable long-lasting floor. Here are a few tips to help keep your hardwood beautiful from Indianapolis hardwood flooring store, Kermans.
Hardwood Cleaning Tips
- Sweep your floor or use a dust mop daily.
- A hardwood floor cleaner is useful in removing occasional scuffs or heel marks. Spray some cleaner on a cloth and lightly rub the stained area. Sticky spots can be cleaned with a damp towel or sponge.
- Do NOT use cleaning products (Murphy’s Oil Soap, Old English, wax, conditioner etc) each time you clean your floor; use water and cleaning products sparingly to increase the longevity and sheen of your final finish coat.
- Never wet-mop a wood floor. In all cases, use minimal water, because water causes deterioration of the wood itself as well as the finish. Avoid using mops or cloths that leave excessive water on the floor. Never let a spill of water dry on the floor. Never pour water directly onto the floor.
- Place floor mats or area rugs at each entryway to collect dirt and grit that might be tracked in. These tiny particles act like sandpaper and will scratch your floor. Be sure to avoid using rubber-backed or non-ventilated mats or rugs as they can damage your floor. Instead use mats or rugs made especially for hardwood floors and remember to shake them out regularly.
- Use a humidifier throughout the winter months to keep wood movement and shrinkage to a minimum.
- If you have pets, keep their nails trimmed, they can and will scratch a wood floor.
Kermans carries a wide selection of Bona Cheme solutions and dust mops for cleaning. Different types of wood flooring – such as laminate, bamboo or cork – might require different cleaning techniques. Stop by our hardwood store in Indianapolis and we’ll be happy to give you cleaning advice for your specific hardwood floor.
Now that you know hardwood flooring is easy to maintain, you might have other questions about choosing the best hardwood floor for your home. Check out our free online buyer’s guide for more information about hardwood floor types, questions to ask before buying and installation information.
This month is a great month to stop by our Indianapolis hardwood store because we’re running a Hardwood Summer Sale! 12 month financing, no interest. Full details available in our showroom.
When you’re looking for expert advice and the best hardwood flooring available, look no further than Kermans. Stop by our Indianapolis flooring store to shop our wide selection of hardwood, carpet, tile and area rugs.